Lemon Drizzle Cake
This cake is one of my all time favorites, Joanne’s gran always made this cake for me she was an amazing woman and a wonderful cook. The lemon cake freezes very well so you always can have some cake in, which is nice if mates call for coffee.
- Pre heat oven to 180c, grease and line a large loaf tin
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy
- Add the milk, and then slowly beat in a small amount of beaten egg with a spoonful of flour into the mix of butter and sugar until all the egg and flour is incorporated into the mix
- Spoon your mix into the loaf tin. bake in the oven for about 45-55 mins test with a skewer so it comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking place the lemon juice in a pan bring to the boil and reduce to about 3 tbsps leave to cool and then stir in the granulated sugar till it just starts to dissolve.
- When the cake comes out of the oven prick the top several times with the skewer and then slowly pour the lemon syrup over the cake leaving it to soak in, leave the cake in tin till completely cool before turning out.
This cake will keep and freeze but not if I am anywhere near it !!!