- 1 Pack of streaky smoked bacon
- 1 White onion finely chopped
- 2 Cans of plum tomatoes
- 1 Chicken stock cube
- 2 teaspoons of Oregano
- 1 green Chilli, optional.
- 2-3ozs per person of any good pasta
- Cheddar cheese grated for on top of finished dish
Susie’s Bacon Pasta Amatriciana
This is a family favourite not only with the adults but also with the children. I find it a really useful supper dish, and serve it with garlic beard and a bottle of red wine, pure bliss.
- Cut the bacon into tiny strips and put on a tray then bake in the oven till they are really dark brown and crisp.
- While the bacon is crisping put the onions in a large pan with a little oil and sauté them for about 15 minutes on a gentle heat till they are very soft.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, and crumbled stock cube to the pan chop the tomatoes so they are small pieces, let that gently bubble for about ten minutes.
- Add the bacon and let it simmer for 30-40 minutes it should be a rich sauce.
- Cook your pasta and then top with the sauce and a good handful of cheese on each serving.
If you want the spicy version add a chopped green chilli while cooking the onions, it is wicked. This dish freezes well and will serve 4-6.