- 1 pkt of Asparagus
- 4ozs of Carnaroli or Arborio rice
- 2ozs Butter
- 1 pkt of frozen Tiger Prawns
- 1 pint of good Chicken stock, you may need more so have some handy.
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 glove of garlic chopped
- 1 glass of white wine
- 2 tablespoons of cream
- 3 ozs of Parmesan cheese
- 1 talblespoon of olive oil
- 2 ozs of chopped mushrooms/ optional
- salt and pepper
Asparagus & Prawn Risotto
This dish to me is the perfect curl up on the sofa with a bottle of wine and good movie supper dish, it is creamy rich yet the asparagus keeps it spring fresh, I find although you have to stand over a risotto, quite a simple dish which you can play around with and make form more or less anything you want.
- Melt the butter and oil together the add the rice and make sure it is all cover and sizzled for a minute or two
- Add the onion and garlic stir around and lower the heat to just above simmering
- Put in the chopped stalks of the asparagus, keep the tips for the last five mins cooking
- Add mushrooms if using then put the lid on and sweat for 5 mins but do give a stir.
- Add the wine turn the heat up a little and let the wine sizzle away and reduce by half
- Start adding the stock a ladle at a time, as the stock is used add another ladle, keep giving it a stir
- When the rice has swollen 3 times its volume you know you are about ready to throw in the tips of the asparagus and the frozen prawns
- Cook around for another 5-7 minutes
- Add the cheese and the cream, also the seasoning by now this should smell wonderful, serve in warm bowls with crusty bread and chilled white wine.
Always treat making a risotto as a labour of love and it will never let you down, a couple of secrets are always use only a wooden spoon, that will not damage the rice, always keep your stock warm you cannot have different temperatures when adding stock to a risotto, do not answer the phone, think only of the job in hand.