- 4 Small to medium Chicken Breasts cut into small pieces
- 1 Medium White Onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 3 rounded tablespoons of Barts medium Curry Powder ( a good make)
- 1 large tablespoon of plain flour
- 2 Knorr Chicken stock cubes
- 1 pint of hot water
- 1 sachet of creamed coconut or a small tins of creamed coconut, or you can use cream
- 3 rounded tablespoon of Brandson pickle
- 1 medium carrot chopped small
- 3 medium mushrooms finely sliced
- 2 sticks of celery finely sliced
- 1 small red or green pepper finely sliced
- 1 medium courgette sliced.
- You can use potatoes, sweetcorn, sugar snaps cauliflower anything you like really.
Chicken and Veg Curry
One of our family favorite recipes, it freezes very well and I often make a big batch then freeze it into smaller portions. The children in the family enjoy this as much as the adults, it is very versatile as you can more or less add what ever you fancy to it. A friend was in the kitchen when i was making it and was very surprised that I use curry powder and not the very in-fashion paste, I find I get a better flavor using a good powder but always making sure you cook the spice through which I will explain during the method. The other shock to this recipe is that the magic ingredient is Brandson pickle it works a treat at giving the balance of sweetness and the acid from the vinegar that is often needed to balance this type of dish, in Singapore they would use things like palm sugar for the sweetening and a rice vinegar for the acid balance.
I am a cook that tastes her food all the way through cooking so I really like people to do the same, so taste and judge if it needs more sweetness then just add a little but do be aware that during cooking the sweetness from the veg also comes out so quite often I leave adjustments to the last 15 mins of cooking. I really hope you all enjoy this as much as my family do. xxx
- Start by heating your wok and add a little oil, fry your chicken till a golden colour and set aside on a plate.
- Add your onion garlic and celery to the wok fry for 3-4 mins.
- Add the curry powder stir around for a minute or two to fry your spices
- Add the chicken back to the wok then stir and add all the veg and stir in the flour so it sticks to everything,
- Add your stock cubes to the hot water, stir and then add the stock a little at a time to the wok stirring all the time. you should be getting a curry sauce by now.
- Add the coconut and brandson pickle stir around and then turn down and let it bubble away for 20mins.
This dish does need constant looking at as it sticks and burns if left, so do keep giving it a stir and taste it after 10 mins if it is not sweet enough add some demarera sugar or honey to it, or if too spicey for you just add some cream. This dish feeds six very easily in our house. I find if feeding adults onlyI then add some raisins to the dish and I finish the dish with toasted sliced almonds, which gives it a nice nutty feel.