The best scones I have ever made, and I cannot stop eating them!!!. I have always made scones which I always found needed eating the same day or they would go dry and heavy, so when a friend said she liked buttermilk scones I began my search for the best recipe, this is it, unless anyone can give me a better one, which I doubt as I find these light fluffy moist and really delicious, best with strawberry jam and cream.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees
- Put all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and rub in till like breadcrumbs or do as I did and throw it in the food mixer and blitz it for 2-3 mins
- Put it in a mixing bowl and add the buttermilk
- The dough is quite moist, turn it on to a floured board and roll out to about an inch thick if you like deep scones or 1/2inch thick if you like thinner ones both work well
- Brush the tops with a little buttermilk and bake in oven for about 12-15 mins
They keep well in an air tight box for up to a week and they freeze well. You can buy buttermilk from Tesco's and most big supermarkets, once you have made these you will never go back to the others.